Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Rainy Days and Mondays

I got caught in an utter deluge today.

If you've ever lived in (or been remotely near) West Texas, you know how unpredictable and ridiculous the weather is. Outside your window, the blue sky will be dotted with wispy white clouds, letting through soft, dappled sunlight. And then, ten minutes later, the sky will redden with dust and the wind will thrash about, producing what looks like the Second Coming. I experienced something very similar as I left class today.

As I walked out of the Ad building, I noticed through the window that it was raining. "No biggie," I thought, "I can get a little wet since I don't have anywhere to be." It was as if the rain heard me, because I opened the door and walked into a complete downpour. The cold, splashy run to my car was miserable, and after I had triumphantly shut the car door I could still feel driplets of water running down my back. What's worse, right as I turned into the driveway the rain completely stopped, and the sun was out again. Sigh.

I walked in the door literally soaked to the skin. Brendan gave me a funny look because outside it was sunny and dry, but I looked like a wet dog. My hair was as wet as if I had just stepped out of the shower, and my clothes stuck to me like pancake syrup on skin. Inky rivulets ran down my cheeks as my mascara bled. I think my purse is still drying out.

Thanks, Abilene. That's one thing I won't miss when I leave you.

No comments: