Monday, August 4, 2008

Wonderful Wedding Weekend

Brendan and I spent the weekend in Ohio for Clay and Heather's wedding, and it was so wonderful. We flew out late Thursday morning and arrived in time for dinner, so we (my parents, grandmothers, aunt and uncle, cousins, Brendan, and I) ate at this really interesting and delicious Mennonite restaurant. Almost everything on the menu was homemade, and it sure tasted like it. We saw quite a few Amish and Mennonite families while we were there, and I think they're fascinating. Central Ohio houses one of the largest Amish/Mennonite communities in the country; there's even a "buggy lane" on the road so that Amish families can drive their horse-and-buggy around town.

My beautiful mama and me


Hangin' out at the rehearsal dinner

On Friday afternoon, we helped set up for the rehearsal dinner and the reception. The rehearsal dinner later that evening was one of the funnest ones I've ever been to. Heather's parents own a coffee shop in Coshocton, and it was the perfect place for a rehearsal dinner. They shut down the coffee house for the evening, and dinner was very small and intimate. After dinner, we busted out the karaoke. My cousin Brittany and I tore it up with our renditions of "Goodbye Earl" and "Wannabe." It was so hilarious seeing my family members belt out karaoke.

Spice Girls, Utley-style


Brendan rocking the house


Good looks run in the family.

The next day, I was up bright and early for my hair appointment and left Brendan sleeping in the hotel room. Guys always have it so easy with weddings. The girls have to get up extra-early to assemble their hair, make-up, dresses, etc., while the guys simply have to put on a tux and head out the door. Seriously.

The ceremony was lovely, and my dad performed the service. He also married Brendan and me, so it was very special for our family. I was a groom's attendant and stood on the boys' side, which was really cool. I had never been in a wedding before, so that was a neat experience to have. It was interesting, though, because since I stood on Clay's side during the ceremony I was in the pictures with all the groomsmen. I definitely stood out!

The reception was awesome. It was a big dinner-and-dancing reception, which I love. I even managed to drag Brendan onto the dance floor for a few songs. Brendan's not a big dancer, and his philosophy of dancing is to intentionally act stupid rather than try to dance and fail, so there was lots of "white boy" dancing from Brendan.


Chillin' at the reception - I'm wearing clothes, I promise!


Beautiful bride


Dancing with bro

It was weird seeing a wedding ring on my brother's finger. I'm glad that he's so happy.

We flew back home on Sunday afternoon, and I was a little sad to leave. I had so much fun, and it felt so good to spend time with my family.

2 comments:

Kayla said...

You looked beautiful, Erin! I'm glad the wedding went so well. I miss you!

Kalyn Gensic said...

That sounds like an awesome wedding. Yay for mixed gendered groomsmen and bridesmaids!!! Hope everything is good in Abilene. Miss you!