Thursday, September 18, 2008

Four Weeks Down

I'm about four weeks into the new school year, and things are going well. Teaching my 111 class is fun, and the kids are great for the most part, but the semester has also been very stressful. It's difficult balancing being a teacher with being a student, and preparing for one "job" can sometimes take a backseat to the other.

My little 111 students turned in their very first paper yesterday, and no one turned it in late! I was so proud of them. I think that they think I'm a little scatterbrained and too excited about English (which is probably true of me in real life), but they know that I want them to succeed and that I won't be a pushover. They're a really sweet class, and I don't have any troublemakers. (I hope I haven't jinxed myself by writing that...)

While it can be stressful planning my 111 class and keeping up with my work as a grad student, I do enjoy teaching. Every now and then I'll have a rough day teaching where I'll think to myself, "I don't know what I'm doing!" But most of the time, I'm glad I'm a teacher.

No comments: