Sunday, September 28, 2008

Nine Months and Counting

Brendan and I will celebrate nine months of marriage tomorrow. Wow. That's a long time; we're only three months shy of the one-year mark. Before I tied the knot, all my married friends told me that once we were married I'd love Brendan more than ever. And that's very true; I never thought I could be this close to another person. I also learned that you won't really discover those little eccentricities about someone (say, that he is incapable of not leaving his shoes in the middle of the living room floor) until you've lived with him.

But the most important lesson marriage has taught me is how to be unselfish. If Brendan wants to eat at a restaurant that I don't particularly like, I let it go because I know it will make him happy. I'm the messy one in the relationship (big surprise), but I'll intentionally try to keep the house clutter-free because it's important to him.

And Brendan does the same things for me. He knows that I'm an obsessive recycler, and he'll go out of his way to recycle something even when its inconvenient. He'll suggest going to McKay's for lunch because he knows how much I love their cupcakes.

I can be a pretty selfish person, but I'm willing to take one for the team because I'd rather Brendan be happy instead of me. That's the magic of marriage.


No comments: