Thursday, January 8, 2009

Looking to the Future

My last (!) semester of grad school begins on Monday, which officially kick-starts the beginning of the end. This semester I have to complete two classes, pass Comps, and teach an English 107 class, and I'll be home free. I'm so proud of myself and my achievements in grad school, and I look forward to the days when my semesters will no longer be punctuated by twenty-page papers. Graduation is looming on the horizon, and despite the feelings of joy and relief, it brings one horribly frightful thought: I have to get a real teaching job!

I don't know where that job will be located or when it will be offered to me. I'm such a planner and certainly not a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants type of person, so not knowing anything about my future can be pretty disconcerting. I'm probably being more dramatic about this than I need to be, but transitioning from college to career is pretty intimidating. I've got a couple of months before the job hunt officially begins, and I'm really ready for the future to start.

No comments: