Thursday, January 10, 2008

Blast From the Past

The other day, I was thinking about where I was at this time last year. I had just finished my last real semester of college and was about to start student teaching at a high school in Abilene. Frankly, I was terrified. College was pretty much over for me and most of my friends were about to move away, leaving me behind in Abilene. Moreover, I wasn't even sure if teaching was right for me. I've wanted to be a school teacher as long as I can remember, but I was lukewarm toward my education classes at ACU. Despite being indoctrinated with copious amounts of pedagogy and classroom management tips, I still wasn't convinced that I would enjoy being a teacher. (Did you education majors like my use of "pedagogy"?) So, I began student teaching with the attitude of, "This may not be the right career for me, but at least it'll be something I can cross off the list." But that all changed when I got into the classroom. Student teaching was incredible, and I wouldn't trade that experience for anything. I taught an amazing group of kids and worked flawlessly with my cooperating teacher. I even cried on my last day; I felt like I was losing my "babies".

Today at Target I ran into one of the Seniors that I student taught. I was wielding my cart down the candle aisle when I heard, "Miss Utley!" Anyone who's ever been a teacher knows how quickly your head turns when you hear that! She gave me a big hug and introduced me to her mom, who was with her. She's now a college student and all grown up, and talking with her reminded me of how much I miss teaching.

I'm about to start my second semester of grad school at ACU, and I love where I'm at. I'm enamored with the topics I'm studying, so much so that I've bounced around the idea of becoming a professor instead of a school teacher. But I second-guessed all that today when I ran into my former student.

So, where will I be in 18 months? Beginning my Ph.D program? About to start my first year of teaching public school? Who's knows, but I've got time to figure it out...

1 comment:

Kayla said...

Yay! You started a blog! Sorry I haven't responded to your facebook post. I SO want to get together! I've been super busy with Princeton Review training; I have to go next weekend as well. Maybe we could do lunch sometime this week? I'll call you.