Sunday, March 1, 2009

Brackett Baby Shower

On Saturday, I trekked to Fort Worth for the day for Natalie's (and Baby Girl Brackett's) baby shower. The shower was gorgeous, and Natalie made out like a bandit with all kinds of cute baby gear. Natalie officially has a beautiful "pregnant" belly, and it feels surreal (and exciting!) to know that I'll have a tiny niece in about a month. I've officially decided to let the little one call me whatever she wants, instead of me choosing an "aunt" name. The baby is due the same weekend as my Comps written exams, so we're planning on visiting her after I have my oral defense the next week. What a wondeful way to celebrate the end of Comps - seeing my beautiful neice for the first time!

Since Natalie is older than I am, I was the youngest guest at the shower. Being around lots of women at the party who already have children, or those who don't yet have them but want them, was an odd experience. After the shower, I came to the realization that I am so not ready for a family at this point in my life. I think it's a life-stage thing. I'm ecstatic to have a niece next month, and I'm more than willing to love on, cuddle with, and play with other people's babies, but I'm not quite ready for my own. I figure I'll know when the time is right, but right now I get kind of freaked out when I think about having a tiny person to take care of. I'm just going to enjoy being with my husband and starting my first job for now.

I hope writing this post hasn't jinxed me in the baby-making department...

1 comment:

hbu said...

Erin,

My friend Erin goes by "Auntie Erin," which always has a nice ring to it, when a 3-year old is saying, "Auntie Airwin."