Sunday, July 12, 2009

Our House Is a Very Sad-Looking House

I've made a lot of moving-related progress in the past week. My mom and grandmother arrived last Sunday to help us begin packing, and now my entire kitchen and most of my bathroom are neatly packed in brown boxes, labeled things like "Silverware" and "Bath Towels." My house (or rather, the collection of possessions which make it my house) is slowly evaporating. All of the art, curtains, and decor is also packed, leaving behind only the most basic of living essentials. As a result, the place looks rather glum; you never realize what a cheery difference the little things make until they're gone. The rest will all be packed in about ten days, when we leave our little duplex for good.

Being in my house kind of depresses me now; most of the small touches that made it my home -- like honeymoon pictures, red candles, and green valances -- are packed away, leaving only stark, white walls and empty cabinets, so that it feels like a placeholder residence. I wish I could fast-forward my life to a couple of weeks from now to our new, fully-decorated apartment, and that warm feeling of home.



Take a gander at our growing collection of packed boxes.
The ones marked "Erin's Books" are my favorites. :)

1 comment:

Kalyn Gensic said...

I've done that at least once a year for the past 6 years. I'll have to admit, I'm really happy to have a year off from moving. Just remember, the unpacking will be fun. You'll get to decorate a whole new place! Good luck!